2015. május 1., péntek

Libraries are man's best friends.

Libraries made me a writer, but more importantly, they made me a thinker. The library was my favorite place when I was a child, and still. I practically lived in my local library when I was a kid, and that played a huge role in deciding to go into libraries as a career. Libraries have always been a huge part of my life, from my early days growing up in a small town where I read every single book on the shelf to my teen years working at a library every summer, and then again at the same library as an adult. Now, I am in the unique position of being both a director of a small town library AND a widely published author. I have the best of both worlds! When I was a child, the public library was the safest, most welcoming, most intriguing place in my world. As an adult, I find it still is. My library is the place where I find inspiration, information, and connection with the world - and peace. In a culture that is increasingly privitized, libraries are among the last free spaces we have left. Public libraries are worth fighting for, and this book is my way of fighting. Libraries represent the diversity and immensity of human thought, our collective knowledge laid out in rows of revealing inspiration. When non-readers realize what treasures are available for the taking in every library, there will be a new Gold Rush. Libraries are such an important resource for our communities, and librarians help connect us with books that reflect and expand our perspectives. Accessible storage for all human knowledge and wisdom. Libraries have always been a primary source of research for my books. Even in the digital age. A library is many things to many people. It can be a place of sanctuary, for time alone in a little reading nook. It can be the safest place in the world to socialize and make new friends in reading groups and at special events. It's up to each individual to use the library in the best way that suits their needs. You're never bored when your nose is in a book. A library is a house of hope. It's a place where we all, whatever our situation, can feed our ideas and develop our dreams.What I love most about libraries is that the books can only be borrowed, but the knowledge and inspiration they contain are yours to keep...

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése